Steamed Carrot Pudding Recipe
Carrot pudding was a traditional Christmas dessert at my house growing up in Shelburne, Nova Scotia. My grandmother Elsie Mackay, used to get me to help her make this, it was a big project and the whole family looked forward to it each year. After my grandmother passed on, the recipe was lost as she never wrote it down, after a few years of searching and multiple test recipes, I found it!
Carrot Pudding Ingredients
1 cup grated raw carrot
1 cup grated raw potato
1/2 cup beef suet minced
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup minced very small dates
1. Mix all wet ingredients, then add, sugar, flour, spices, & fruit.
2. Put in a double boiler or a pudding mold and steam for 3 hours. Carrot pudding is done when you press lightly on the top and it springs back.
3. Store in plastic and tinfoil in the fridge if you plan on eating within a week or in the freezer if you plan on eating it later on.
Hard Sauce Recipe
1/2 cup (1 stick) real butter MUST BE SOFT NOT MELTED IMPORTANT!!!!! I sit it near where I am steaming my pudding.
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream Room temperature
Cream the butter , gradually add powdered sugar a bit at a time. Slowly dribble in the heavy cream. Don’t beat too much or it will curdle and separate. Sprinkle a teaspoon of brandy over the sauce and let sit in fridge, keep cold.
How to Prepare for Eating
- Bake pudding in oven on 350 till heated through and crispy on the outside.
- Make sure the hard sauce remains COLD, just before serving, remove from the fridge and